News

Charly Boy group suspends anti-Buhari protest indefinitely

 

The anti-Buhari protest led by Charles Oputa, the entertainer better known as Charly Boy, has been suspended indefinitely.

This comes a day after members of the group were assaulted at Wuse market in Abuja.

Announcing the suspension at Unity Fountain in Abuja on Wednesday, Charly Boy said the next line of action would be made known in the days ahead.

He said even though members of the group had received death threats, they were not deterred.

“We are not deterred by the intimidation and harassment by the sponsored thugs and we cannot be cowed by a few group of people,” he said.

“What government wants to do is to ensure that we have a clash with the hired crowd and we will not allow that to happen.”

But for the intervention of security personnel, the situation at the market would have gone out of hand.

Although Charly Boy escaped, his car was damaged. A man who was injured was rushed to the hospital by operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

The protesters had started a campaign last Monday, demanding that President Muhammadu Buhari – who is on a medical vacation in the United Kingdom– resumes or resigns.

Buhari is the first Nigerian president to have spent over 100 days in a year outside the country.

Before leaving the country on May 7, he had earlier spent 49 days in the UK but till date, the presidency has refused to make public the nature of his ailment.

 


…N’ Delta youths storm Abuja for Buhari

About 600 Niger-Delta Youths carrying various placards supporting President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday took over the Unity Fountain, Abuja after Charly Boy and his group ended their sit out protest against the president at the same venue.

The Niger Delta youths said no matter how many protesters swarm the nation’s capital, Abuja to protest against President Muhammdu Buhari in a bid to force him to resign, such protest does not hold water because his health challenges has not breached any legal or constitutional matter.

The youths carried all sorts of banners with various inscriptions like “Niger Delta youths in support of President Muhammadu Buhari”, “Niger Delta, PMB we know”, “Leave PMB alone”, ‘sickness is not a crime” and “Buhari is only sick not corrupt.”

The youths submitted that it was understandable that the absence of the President is a cause of concern to people, they however added that the constitution does not punish anyone for being sick.

Articulating the position of the protesters, the Convener, Chief Michael Johnny, while addressing journalists stressed that there was no requirement for the removal of the President because he was sick, no matter the length of time.

Johnny said: “Granted that the absence of the President due to ill health is a cause for concern. To every well-meaning Nigerians the concern is that he should regain his good health speedily. Beyond that, I see no other issue, legal or constitutional, which his health engages.

”Our constitution does not punish anyone (and for that matter, the President) for being sick. Indeed, there is no requirement that a President should either be removed from office or himself be required to voluntarily resign from office because he is sick. No matter the length of the sickness.

“To suggest otherwise would be to tread into treating President Buhari less favorable than other people which would be in breach of his fundamental right to freedom from discrimination.

The Special Adviser to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, later arrived to address the pro-Buhari youths.

Adesina’s meeting with the protesters at the 3 Arms Zone Abuja is coming a day after Charly Boy and his group under the aegis of Concerned Nigerians were attacked by an angry crowd at Wuse Market also in Abuja.

Upon meeting with the protesters, the presidential spokesperson commended them and described their protest as a sign of unity and hope for Nigeria.

 


…Presidency fires at protesters, says they are jobless

President Muhammadu Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said protesters should go and look for jobs, if they have nothing to do.

Shehu said this while reacting to the various protest over the continued stay of the President in London, who is treating an undisclosed ailment.

Featuring on Channel’s Television, Shehu said Buhari fulfilled all constitutional requirements before embarking on his medical vacation to London.

He said, “This is a democracy, and we respect the citizens’ rights to demonstrate. All of this is coming from a band of less than two dozen persons who have their antecedents that are known to us, and they will be dictating to the country what to do?

“Majority of Nigerians are on the same page, they have given the President enough trust, and I can assure you what is ahead is far better.

“The President did the right thing by following strictly the requirements of the constitution and handed over power to the vice-president.

“The government is running very well; we don’t have any difficulties. Let’s focus on the big issues, dealing with the mountains of corruption and the insecurity and the economy which is coming back now.

“Please don’t upset the apple cart. They should go and find work if they don’t have anything to do.”

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *