One of the 80 American residents of Nigerian origin, Ifeanyi Agwuegbo, who were arrested last month by the United States authorities, has been granted bail.
Agwuegbo, named as one of the main suspects in a vast business email fraud busted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) appeared in a Texas court last Tuesday.
Peter Bray, an American magistrate who heard Agwuegbo’s preliminary bail application at the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, asked the suspect to be released on a bond of $75,000 (N27.2 million).
Agwuegbo was also asked to provide at least $5,000 deposit and one surety whose signature must be obtained before the defendant could be released, according to hearing details seen by online medium, Premium Times. He was remanded in custody because he did not immediately meet the conditions.
He was amongst at least 77 Nigerians indicted by FBI in a televised announcement on August 22. Several of the suspects have been arrested, while others still at large are being tracked down by FBI and Nigerian authorities.
FBI said the operation that exposed Aguegbo and his alleged conspirators was coordinated amongst several states and federal law enforcement units in the US.
He was found to have been involved in business e-mail compromise, although the syndicate was also nailed for conducting romance scams amongst others.
Several arrests were carried out between early and late August in California and other American states. Agwuegbo was subsequently charged in Texas on three counts of conspiracy to commit money laundering, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.
Premium Times reached out to his lawyer in Houston, Texas, but she has not returned requests for comments as at the time of filing this report.
…3 soldiers, many B’Haram fighters killed in bloody clash – Official
Three soldiers and many Boko Haram fighters were killed in a bloody battle in Borno on Saturday, an official said.
The Army spokesperson, Sagir Musa, was quoted by newsmen as saying the battle occurred after Boko Haram terrorists ambushed the soldiers.
The ambush reportedly happened at Gasarwa village, along Gajiram-Monguno road in Nganzai Local Government Area of Borno.
Musa, the acting Director, Army Public Relations, explained that the troops were of Sector 3, Operation Lafiya Dole attached to the Super Camp in Monguno.
He said the troops dealt a devastating blow on the terrorists along Monguno-Mairari-Gajiram axis.
He said the patrol team came in contact with the terrorists and engaged them with heavy fire that neutralised countless number while a few escaped with gunshot wounds.
According to him, the gallant troops also recovered some weapons and equipment from the terrorists.
“Sadly, during the encounter, 3 of our gallant soldiers paid the supreme price while 8 other soldiers sustained injuries.
“The bodies of the fallen heroes and those that sustained injuries have since been evacuated and the wounded are being treated and are in stable condition.
“The highly motivated troops have continued combing the general area with a view to clear remnants of hiding terrorists,” he said.
The Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai later visited the troops.
Buratai, who reportedly arrived Maiduguri on Friday, proceeded to the scene of the incident in the company of some Principal Staff Officers from the Army Headquarters.
He later proceeded to Monguno military barracks where he held meetings with the Theatre Commander Operation Lafiya Dole and other Commanders.
The army chief also visited the hospital where some wounded soldiers were receiving treatment before returning to Maiduguri on Saturday.
He thereafter received the Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, at the Nigerian Air Force base Maiduguri.
Before departing the base, Magashi, a retired major general, inspected the fighter jets and other airforce equipment and was briefed on their operations.
The minister also held dinner with Borno elders and top military officers in Maiduguri.