By Revd. Idowu Ibitoye
Challenge for Africa
On Wednesday 18th March, 2020, WHO blew a trumpet to Africans, stating that the continent should prepare “for the worst with the spread of COVID-19 pandemic”. Likewise, on 8th May, 2020 the Director-General of WHO made another declaration on Africa saying “about 190,000 people may die in Africa if virus containment fails”. This is another wake up call for the entire African community. The WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made this declaration when South Africa began to record new cases of the virus, the pandemic doubled to 116 within two days. The WHO chief further remarked that though the pandemic is in its early days on the continent, health experts had warned that if advanced countries can be overwhelmed by the virus, even facilities in Africa’s Nation could be seriously overwhelmed by the spread of the virus.With God’s endowed resources in Africa, the continent can fight the plague of COVID-19 to stand still. This is the time for Africa to rise up to the challenge which WHO has posed before her; this can be achieved through the following:
- Development of African COVID-19 medication: God has blessed Africa with herbs and Africans had been using herbal medicine before the advent of the colonial masters. Africans should rise up to develop a vaccine or medication based on herbs which can cure COVID-19, time is running out this should be done as fast as possible.
- Good leadership: Africa has been overwhelmed with bad leadership; this is the time for African leaders to display good and effective leadership in combating coronavirus. Report reaching us indicated that some leaders see the outbreak of COVID-19 as means to make money and to require aids from international organizations. Proper and effective coordination should be displayed by leaders at this critical time in history. African leaders should not allow foreign nations to make mockery of the continent. African leaders must rise to this challenge.
- Call for unity, cooperation and love among African nations: This is the time for African leaders to synergize, and unite together. Strong Africa nations need to rise to assist the weak ones. Africa should not allow, at this time, boundaries, ethnicity, and religion to divide her.Time for holistic cooperation is now, Africans should know that united we stand and divided will fall, concerning COVID-19.
- Development of African Technology: It is a pity that some of the test kits for COVID-19 are imported from European or Asia countries. African scientist should at this time develop test machines for COVID-19 patients. It is disheartening that there are not enough test centres for COVID-19.This is a strong challenge to our scientists, to develop test kits in order to facilitate and fast track the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
- Call for effective Prayer: This is the time for Africans to rise in serious and fervent prayers.Time to call upon the maker of heaven and earth, who is able to deliver us from this evil pandemic, is now.
Africans should not entertain fear, God is on our side, we shall see the end of this pandemic. God has been faithful to the African continent since the time immemorial and God shall display the same love, care and protection upon the entire continent now.
God bless Africa!