By Revd. Dr. Idowu Ibitoye
Christian dressing in contemporary society need to be revisited and our members need to be re-educated and re-orientated on the needs for proper and godly dressing. It must be noted that Christian religion does not support indecent dressing in any form. Christians ought to be examples in every area of their lives including dressing that magnify God.
What are Godly Dressings?
• Godly dressing simply means dressing that glorify God. Whenever anyone dresses, such must be a
pointer to glorify the name of God, others must be able to conclude and say “thank God for your
• Likewise, it also means dressing that speaks about godly virtue in you. Virtues are behaviours or attitudes that show high moral standards. Our dressing must be able to portray this.
• Also, godly dressing mean the kind of dressing that point others to Christ. Christian dresses must be able to point others to Christ. Little do we know that our dressing is a gospel to the unbelievers. A story was told of a lady who dress half naked and was distributing gospel tracts inside a taxi, and someone inside the taxi told her “a se asewo na ma nwasu”, “So prostitutes also preach the gospel,” This made the lady to change her ways of dressings.
Biblical Foundation for Godly Dressing
After the fall of man in the garden of Eden, when Adam and Eve realized that they were both naked; “Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realised that they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves” Gen. 3:7. They were no longer innocent like children, they now had a new understanding about themselves and they realised their nakedness, which resulted in a sense of shame.
God in his infinite mercy made them (Adam and Eve) garments of skin, in other to cover their nakedness, “The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them” Gen. 3:21. This simply means: (a) God graciously clothed them,(b) God covered their shameful nakedness, (c) God showed mercy, (d) The provision of cloth for Adam & Eve should serve as reminder, that they should never go back to sin again nor give serpent another chance. Wearing cloths should never open doors for sin; rather it should be an avenue to drive away sin in individual’s life.
What are indecent dressings?
1. They are dressings that expose nakedness – indecent dressing is clearly tagged as any dressing that exposes any sensitive part of the body.
2. They are dressings that showsone is not a child of God – The Bible says “By their fruit you will recognize them…” Matt. 7:16. Your dressing will reveal whom you are, and it speaks volume about your very self.
3. Dressing that makes men to lust after a woman – In our contemporary society many men have been trapped in the bondage of lust as a result of indecent dressing, Job declared; “I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman” Job. 31:1.
4. Dressings that distract others- Another traits of indecent dressing is that it serve as a distraction. Indecent dressings affect drivers on the steering. It also affects male workers who became distracted when any female staff dress indecently. It has caused downfall of many great general of the gospel. “And this I say for your own profit, not that I may put a leash on you, but for what is proper, and that you may serve the Lord without distraction.” I Cor. 7:35.
5. Provocative Dressing– simply means dressing intended to make somebody sexually excited. This type of dressing should be highly discouraged in the society.
Types of Indecent Dressings
1. Wearing of body hugs.
2. Half skirts
3. Mini skirts
4. Exposure of bodily sensitive parts
5. Men plating of hair and using ear rings.
Biblical Standard for Dressing
1. Dressing should not be an elaborate one I Pet. 3:3-4.
2. Men should not wear what belong to women and vice versa Deut. 22:5,10.
3. Women should dress modestly I Tim. 2:9.
4. Bible strongly condemns Jezebel acts of indecent dressing – II King. 9:30, later Jezebel became a seducing spirit in the early church, “nevertheless, I have this against you; you tolerate that woman Jezebel , who calls herself a prophet, by her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality…” Rev. 2:20
Results of Indecent Dressings
1. Distractions – This may occur in the church or in the larger society which may result into unwarranted or accident.
2. Sin of fornication and adultery – The sins of fornication and adultery is alarming in our contemporary society, this is happening mostly everywhere, Gal. 5:19.
3. Raping of girls and ladies – The story of Amnon and Tamar was recorded in II Sam.
4.The report of rape is rampart today in our contemporary society, “But he refused to listen to her, and since he was stronger than she, he raped her” II Sam.13:14
4. Marital unfaithfulness –Many men and women are trapped in the web of concubines and they are unable to loose themselves from the scourge, although the Bible earlier warned “…and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth” Mal. 3:15.
5. Spiritual backwardness – If proper care is not taken, such actions can lead to backsliding of a fervent Christians ( Job 31:1).
1. Everyone should always dress to glorify God.
2. Everyone should always mirror him/herself before going out, that is first judge your dressing before others do.
3. Parents, guardians and teachers should teach their children and students to dress decently. “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it”Prov. 22:6.
4. Pastors and church leaders should not allow any indecent/ungodly dressing in the church. They should know that wearing such dressing in the church, is an abomination and should be disallowed.
5. Legislation on decent dress code in public places – Many thanks to some tertiary institutions who have dress codes and enforcing it. Government should ensure legislation on the proper/ decent dress code in all public places and in the lager society.
6. Everyone should remember that God will judge all immoral activities Rev. 22:14. Indecent dressing, immoral acts and those found guilty before God are liable to eternal domination in hell.
7. Total surrendering of one self to Christ; many who engage in this act of indecent dressing have not given their lives to Christ, allowing Christ to rule one’s life will prompt decent dressing.
You have known the facts on godly dressing, start to be an ambassador for Christ on the gospel of godly dressing, begin to sensitize people to always: “dress to glorify God,” as “nudity is not a virtue, “no religion support indecent dressing” etc. With everyone’ cooperation, we shall have a better and godly society.
By Revd. Dr. Idowu Ibitoye