The Borno State Police Command yesterday, paraded eight suspected Boko Haram members and their accomplices said to be responsible for the kidnap of over 200 schoolgirls from the remote town of Chibok four years ago.
Another 14 suspects also paraded were responsible for various suicide attacks carried out by teenage girls, the police said.
This was disclosed at a press conference by the Borno Police Command at the force headquarters in Maiduguri, the state capital.
Borno State Police Commissioner, Damian Chukwu said the men, aged 20-48 and all from Bama area of Borno State were arrested in the state and Yobe, early this month. All eight confessed to their involvement, he added.
“The suspects are helping with useful information to arrest other fleeing Boko Haram commanders,” he said in a statement.
The mass abduction of about 276 students from the Government Girls Secondary School at their dormitory in Chibok on April 14, 2014 sparked widespread outrage and a global campaign for their release.
A total of 57 students escaped in the immediate aftermath of the abduction and since then, 107 have either been found or released as part of government’s negotiation with the terrorists group.