BY KAYODE ADEOTI
Barring any last minute change, the Kwara State Governor, Alhaji Abdufatah Ahmed on his return from 2018 hajj, will announce the former Executive Secretary of Town Planning Development Authority (TPDA), Abdulraheem Oladele Adeoti as the new Olomu of Omu Aran.
A former aide of Governor Ahmed who confided in this medium last night disclosed that Adeoti’s name has been forwarded to his former boss after meeting all the requirements of the Olomu-in-Council and Irepodun Local Government.
The source added that Governor Ahmed who is expected to return from the holy land this week will make the name of the new Olomu public in a matter of days.
He said, “The only thing delaying the pronouncement of Alhaji Raheem Adeoti as the next Olomu of Omu Aran is the absence of Governor Ahmed. He is away in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia performing the 2018 hajj. The name of the Olomu-elect is on his table of the governor as we speak, I can confidently say, it will be announced immediately Governor Ahmed returns this week.
“The kingmakers (Olomu-in-Council) and other traditional bodies in Irepodun local government have conducted all series of interview for the nominee before transmitting his name to the council Chairman, Hon. Muyiwa Oladipo, who then forwarded it to the Ministry of Local Government, Chieftaincy Affairs and Community Development, (LGCACD).”
In a related development, the kingmakers in Omu Aran have threatened to curse the author of petition written against the nominee for the Olomu stool.
A source close to the palace had informed this medium that a petition was written by some persons from Aki and Olasankale ruling houses and sent to the Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji (Dr) Ibrahim Sulu Gambari against the choice of Adeoti.
According to the source, those who wrote the petition were those who felt they deserved to be considered instead of the Town Planning scribe for the stool.
“Adeoti’s nomination as the next Olomu of Omu Aran has been generating controversies between two major ruling houses; Aki and Olasankale. The petition writers are from these ruling houses and they felt they should have been considered over Adeoti.
“We’ve met the two houses to bring forward the writers of the petition but they are shielding them. They are aware that the kingmakers have threatened to curse anyone responsible for the petition.
“What they (the authors) did is very wrong and it’s an insult on the traditional institution as they have no right to impose themselves on us,” a prominent chief in the community informed our reporter.
Recall that this medium had reported in its Monday, 13th August, 2018 edition that the Ministry of Local Government, Chieftaincy and Community Development denied receiving the name of the Olmu-designate from the council chairman of Irepodun.
The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Dr Habibat Katibi in a telephone chat with our reporter had maintained that the council boss was yet to forward name of any nominee for the Olomu stool.
“We didn’t receive any name; I believe there are procedures that must be followed… Except the name was sent on Friday, then by Monday, we will review it but for now, we’re yet to receive the name,” she had said.
However, when contacted, the council chairman, Hon Oladipo maintained that he had forwarded the name of the Olomu-elect to the ministry through the Permanent Secretary.
“Who said I’ve not submitted the name? It is that name that I gave madam (Perm Sec), last week,” he divulged.
The Olomu stool became vacant following the passing of Oba Charles Oladele Ibitoye, Adogbajale bi Ileke II last December, after a brief illness.
The departed monarch who is survived by wife and children died at the age of 65.