By Revd. Dr. Idowu Ibitoye
Integrity is becoming a thing of the past in Christian homes Husbands and wives have lost this virtue in their marital relationship. This virtue must be revived and restore into the homes and marriages. For the sake of this write-up our anchor passage is Prov. 13:6, “Righteousness (rightness and justice in every area and relation) guards him who is upright in the way, but wickedness plunges into sin and overthrow the sinner” (Amplified Bible). Also, Titus 3:8 says “This message is most trust worthy and concerning these things I want you to insist steadfastly, so that those who have believed in (trusted in, relied on) God may be careful to apply themselves to honourable occupations and to doing good, for such things are (not only) excellent and right (in themselves but (they are) good and profitable for the people” (Amplified Bible).
What is integrity?
Integrity is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles, in other words, it is the state of being whole and not divided. The Bible affirmed that “He who walks uprightly walks securely, but he who takes a crooked way shall be found out and punished” Prov. 10:9, Cf. 13:6. Many marriages are in disarray today because both husbands and wives lack integrity.
Results of integrity in Christian home
Integrity produces positive results in Christian families, these results will affect positively all facets of the family life. If integrity is properly practiced it will yield positive results for the benefits of families.
- Integrity will enhance trust among spouse – This mean that the spouse will believe in the acts of honesty and worth in of each other. All couples are enjoined, “not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our saviour attractive” Titus 2:10. Through the integrity of life, couples must showcase Christianity and make it attractive to the outsiders.
- Integrity will enhance high influential value among couples – Influence among couples simply means how spouses affect the way the other partner believes and thinks. Couples must affect each other positively for the peace of the family. Couples has a lot of influence upon their offsprings and they must ensure the children are positively impacted and influenced. In Christian homes integrity will produce positive influence and value without any force.
- Spousal integrity will facilitates high standards in home- This a level of behaviour that is considered for spouses to be morally acceptable. By the time couple initiates integrity in the daily and family affairs, high standards will be put in place, which the children will grow to inculcate from their upbringings.
- Integrity will result into solid/firm reputation – Integrity in Christian homes will enhance and bring about higher reputation, “A good name is better than fine perfume …” Eccl. 7:1. Couples must ensure that acts always to the glory of God. They should never engage in illicit affairs that can tarnish the image of their family. This is achieved through integrity and determination to keep the good name of the family.
5. Integrity will help the spouses to be more credible to themselves and others – Couples must be able to trust themselves and be accepted by outsiders, through integrity, credibility will be enhanced and the glory of the family will be shown to others.