News

UK advises citizens against travelling to 12 Nigerian states

The United Kingdom (UK) says Boko Haram insurgents are likely to kidnap foreign nationals, warning its citizens against travelling to twelve states in Nigeria.
The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) announced this on Friday in a travel advisory for its nationals.
The UK government said there is a high threat of kidnap throughout Nigeria for ideological, financial or political gain.
“The groups have previously shown intent and capability to conduct kidnaps in Nigeria. Foreign nationals, including humanitarian workers, are likely targets for kidnap. Humanitarian hubs and humanitarian workers have been targeted during attacks in the North East, including Monguno, Borno State on 13 June 2020,” the advisory reads.
“There’s a high threat of kidnap throughout Nigeria. Kidnaps can be motivated by criminality or terrorism and could be carried out for ideological, financial or political gain. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the risk of kidnap increases after dark.
“The security environment in the North East has deteriorated since 2018 and there is a heightened risk of kidnap. Kidnaps in the North East have included humanitarian and private sector workers. There are also reports that Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa (ISWA) are continuing to actively plan to kidnap foreigners. As well as in North-East Nigeria, extremist groups operate in some northern and middle belt states including Bauchi, Gombe, Kano, Kogi, Kaduna, Niger and Adamawa states. If you’re working or travelling in these States then you should be aware of the risk of terrorist kidnapping.”
The UK government also advised its citizens to be careful as events to mark the one year anniversary of #EndSARS protests may lead to additional protests in Lagos and Abuja.
The government also said the trial of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), scheduled for October 21 may lead to protests and heightened security presence in Abuja and in the south-east.
“Since 9 August, there has been an increase in protests and demonstrations in the South East region of Nigeria. Protests, including “Stay at Home” protests, are likely during October in the South East region. There have been reports of violence during Stay at Home protests previously. You should monitor local media, avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings and follow any instructions from local police and security forces,” the advisory further reads.
“There have been a number of attacks and targeted killings in the South-east and Southsouth regions of Nigeria, including in the states of Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Imo, Abia, Anambra, Delta, Edo and Ebonyi. Some of these attacks have been on isolated roads and in remote locations, but there is a chance that they could occur in metropolitan areas. There is also a heightened risk of indiscriminate attacks on police and security infrastructure, which may inadvertently affect bystanders.
“A number of states have imposed curfews. Travellers to these regions are advised to exercise caution if travelling in remote areas at night and follow local news and information outlets for further information, including on local curfews.”
Here are the 12 states:
Borno
Yobe
Adamawa
Gombe
Kaduna
Katsina
Zamfara
Delta
Bayelsa
Rivers
Akwa Ibom and
Cross River states.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button