By Revd Dr. Idowu Ibitoye
Benefits of godly relationship
Godly, effective and cordial relationship has a lot of benefits to the people or parties involved:
- Elevation- Every godly relationship can bring elevation to one’s ministry, and career. Joseph developed a relationship with Pharaoh’s chief cup bearer while in prison, he interpreted dreams for him and Joseph
told him, “… please remember me and do me a favour when things go well for you, mention me to pharaoh, so he might let me out of this place” Gen. 40:14. It was the same Chief cup bearer that told Pharaoh that Joseph was in the prison who could interpret his dreams. The Bible told us that the “King’s Chief Cup bearer spoke-up… there was a young Hebrew man with us in the prison who was a slave of the captain of the guard. We told him our dreams and he told us what each of our dreams meant. And everything happened just as he had predicted… Pharaoh sent for Joseph at once and was quickly brought from the prison” Gen. 41:12-14. Joseph interpreted the dreams and he was elevated accordingly to the position of Prime Minister.
- Connection – Godly relationship can offer one connection with the right and godly individuals. Through relationship one can be connected with a destiny helper.
- Spiritual Growth – Believers relationship can aid spiritual growth and maturity, the scripture says, “two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed” Eccl. 4:9. Relationship with others has advantages. Life is structured and designed for companionship, not isolation, not loneliness. We are in this world to serve God and others; this can only be achieved through relationship. The scripture further affirms “if one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble” Eccl. 4:10. Relationship helps believers to be deeper in spiritual matters and believers will be unable to derail or backslide through brotherly relationship, “As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend” Prov. 27:17.
- Marital Union- Godly relationship can result into marriage. Brothers and sister who effectively relate through Kingdom principles can end such relationship in becoming husband and wife.
- Sharing of knowledge – No one is an island of knowledge, through relationship you can get knowledge, understanding and wisdom from others. A Yoruba adage says make use of other people’s wisdom for your own progress, “fi ogbon ologbon sogbon”.
- Rapid development in the organisation – In a given organization, establishment or group where there is mutual relationship between the leaders and followers, progress is evident and visible. Take for example in a church where the pastor relates well with his parishioners, such members will respond by cooperating with the pastor and supporting his vision in moving the church forward.
- Amicable resolution of crisis – Crisis is bound to happen in any human organisation, it is only how leaders respond to it that matters. In an organization where mutual relationships exist it is possible to quickly resolve any brewing crisis at the initial stage.
- Societal peace – Peace is evident in a community of cordial relationship and trust, this will offer Everybody to live in peace with each other regardless of religious, or ethnic affiliations.
Some dos and don’ts in relationship
There are boundaries in every relationship, and these boundaries must be respected:
- Never follow an opposite sex into his/her living room, respect his/her privacy.
- Do away with constant hugging of an opposite sex both in public and private domains.
- Respect others people’s opinion during discursion.
- Be a peace builder and not a peace breaker.
- Never intrude into the private matter of others without your invitation.
- Know your limitation in another person’s home and respect others person’s spouse.
- Do not take others for granted no matter the level of your relationship.
- Respect agreement and position reached in a relationship.
- Never be a conspirator in a relationship.
10.Do everything humanly possible to ensure that peace reigns in a relationship.
- Be careful on how you discuss sexual matters with the opposite sex, no matter how close you are, remember sex is sacred and private.
- Do not touch the opposite sex in their sensitive bodily parts.
- Respect other people’s age, no matter the level of the relationship.
- Accord others with respect and dignity.
- Be transparent, sincere and faithful in all matters.
- Be punctual remember that punctuality is the bedrock of a meaningful relationship.
- Never look down nor give up on anybody.
- Be careful in comparing yourself with anybody, either in a positive or negative forms, you may be misunderstood.
- Always be willing to offer help to others.
- Always be a channel of blessings to others. Be a generous person.
- Respect other people’s religious beliefs and never force your religion on anyone, allows Holy Spirit to do his work.
- Speak positive things about others always and be polite in your conversation.
- Never withhold information that will help others to succeed in their chosen careers.
- Remember that you are free in walking away/out from any unproductive or dangerous relationship.
- Recognise and respect your senior, know that seniority is part life.
- Respect other cultural values; never impose your culture on others.
- Celebrate others always, you will also be celebrated when you least expected.
Relationship is very crucial and paramount in the journey of life, we need one another to succeed. Allow the Holy Spirit to guide and direct your steps in all relationships.