Two Nigerians have reportedly been killed within 48 hours in South Africa.
A source close to the Nigerian community in the country told newsmen that the first victim — Ikechukwu Edmond, aged 40 — was allegedly killed on November 11 while the second — Eluka Agu — was allegedly beaten to death on November 13.
The source said that Edmond, a businessman and native of Ihembosi, Ekwusigo local government area of Anambra, was killed in front of his house on Amant street, Malvern, Johannesburg.
An eyewitness was quoted as saying that six men came to their house and started breaking doors and taking out their personal effects.
He said: “When she (the neighbour identified as Sibongile) raised the alarm, they started beating her. When Ikechukwu came in and saw what was happening, he brought out his phone to call the police.
“A member of the gang took a brick and hit him in the face and he fell down. When the police arrived, he was already dead.”
The source also quoted police as saying they have commenced an investigation into Edmond’s death.
However, Agu, a native of Ihiala in Anambra, was allegedly robbed and then beaten by some South Africans at Oliven, Centurion.
It was learnt that the police later came and took him to his house for a search.
“The victim pleaded with the police to take him to the hospital for treatment but they refused,” the source was also quoted to have said.
“They searched his house without finding anything but he subsequently died as a result of the severe beating.”
The source added that the Nigerian community in the area expressed worry about the incidents and resolved to take up the matter with “appropriate authorities”.
There have been several reported deaths of Nigerians in South Africa in 2017 alone.
…12,000 in Libya prisons, stranded
No fewer than 12,000 young Nigerians are in prisons or stranded in different parts of Libya, the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons has confirmed adding that 3,887 have been deported since February 2017.
Eight days after 149 Nigerians voluntarily returned from Libya, another batch of 258 were received in Lagos, Tuesday night.
They were deported from the North African country where they had been stranded enroute Europe.
The returnees were brought back aboard a Libyan Airlines aircraft with Registration Number 5A-LAU.
The Airbus 330-200 aircraft touched down at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 8.45pm on Tuesday.
The returnees, who were assisted back to Nigeria by the International Organisation for Migration, comprised 238 female adults, seven teenage girls and one infant, while the male were seven
adults, two teenage boys and three baby boys.
The NCRMI South-West Zonal Director, Magaret Ukegbu, said the whole of the deportees were received from February 1 to November 6.
Ukegbu said that the commission had been working with the International Organisation for Migration, National Emergency Management Agency and other relevant organisations in receiving the deportees.
Ukegbu said: “These young Nigerians, mostly girls from age 14, were received in different weeks during the period.
“We have found out that the IOM, European Union (EU), Dutch and Swiss governments are involved in the deportation of these Nigerians from Libya.”
She said some of the young people returned with pregnancy.
According to her, there are more than 12,000 young Nigerians in prisons or stranded in different parts of Libya while also expressing worry at the situation.