Police nab another suspect in Oke-Oyi

…as community condemns artisans’ arrest
By Ahmed Ajikobi
A 35-year-old suspect, simply identify as Omo Alhaja was at the weekend arrested by the men of Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (F-SARS) in connection with the April 5, Offa banks robbery incident which reportedly claimed the lives of 33 people and nine police officers, National Pilot can authoritatively report.
The suspect was said to have been nabbed by the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) under the leadership of DCP, Abba Kyari after a tip off.
It was gathered that, the officers invaded the area around 8pm on Saturday, mounted surveillance around the suspect’s home before arresting him in the midst of his family.
Meanwhile, residents of Oke-Oyi have berated the officers of F-SARS over alleged arrest of some artisans in the community.
It was gathered that most of the artisans arrested in the community are names on the phone contact of the gang leader and armourer in the Offa banks robbery incident, Michael Adikwu, who was arrested last month.
According to an Oke-Oyi resident who craved anonymity, the artisans arrested were asked to pay certain amount of money to secure their release without any written statement.
Speaking with the Baale of Oke-Oyi Oja community, Muhammed Solihu Abdulqadir lamented the wave of arrest of innocent members of the area by officers of F-SARS without duly informing him as the community head, of their mission.
Abdulqadir however confirmed that Adikwu resided in the community adding that he rented an accommodation in the area before he was arrested, dismissed and jailed for three years and his latest arrest in connection with Offa banks robbery, last month.
“When anyone resides in an area, it is likely that such person will have the mobile contacts of his neighbours such as his tailor, barber, mechanic and bricklayer among others.
“Though we can’t stop F-SARS from doing their legitimate work but those artisans arrested through the phone contacts of Michael Adikwu are innocent and nothing implicating was found on them.
” It is difficult for a tailor, mechanic and barber to ask their customer the type of business or profession he is into before they offer their service.
“Unfortunately, those arrested were asked to pay between N40, 000 to N80,000 as bail condition without any written statement.”
Speaking further, he said a meeting has last Thursday held between youths of the community and the Area Commander and the Commissioner of Police, Aminu Saleh.
The community leader urged government to create job opportunities as they are presently 500 unemployed graduates in Oke-Oyi.
Efforts to get the reaction of the spokesperson of the Nigeria Police Force, CSP Moshood Jimoh over the development proved abortive as calls and text message sent through his phone were not responded to.