News

Secrecy, controversy trail alleged arrest of Kwara Chief of Staff by EFCC over fund misappropriation

By Mumini AbdulKareem

The reported arrest of the Kwara State Chief of Staff (CoS), Dr Aminu
Adisa Logun by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes
Commission (EFCC) last week, has continued to generate ripples in the
state even as details about the incident from officials have been
shrouded in high level secrecy.
Logun, National Pilot learnt, was allegedly ‘summoned’ by the
anti-graft agency over misappropriation of state funds after his
appointment as the CoS by Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq.
However, despite viral reports in several online platforms and social
media groups, including confirmation from top figures in the state who
visited the Commission, the government, EFCC and CoS have refused to
provide details on the alleged invitation or give further explanation
on the matter.
Several efforts in the last four days by this writer to extract
official comments from all the parties involved in the alleged arrest
of Logun some of who were not successful.
When contacted on the phone, the Zonal Head of EFCC in the state,
Isyaku Sharu neither confirmed nor denied the alleged investigation of
the CoS who sources said was quizzed for several hours at the
Commission’s facility over purported misappropriation of state funds.
The anti-graft czar rather requested we speak with the commission’s
Public Relation Officer over the incident.
“Please, why is it that each time there is any issue, you (always)
call me, am I a media man? Listen, if you don’t (hear) anything coming
from our media office, don’t call me. I have my media session. Each
time there is any issue, you will be calling and asking me,” Sharu
said.
The Commission’s Publicity Secretary could not be reached on the issue
but a member of the media team who agreed to speak without being
quoted said their boss (es) have not briefed them on the issue and
would not be able to make official comment on it.
“I have not been able to get anything on the issue since the last time
we spoke last week (Wednesday). When you called initially, I was not
in the office and same thing applies today (Sunday) but I will get in
touch tomorrow if I get to the office and there is something. But now,
we have not been briefed and cannot say anything. We have been
receiving calls over the issue”, he submitted.
Similarly, both Dr Logun and the Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the
Governor, Rafiu Ajakaye did not return several calls and text messages
on the issue when they were contacted.
Ajakaye however issued a blanket statement on the issue ‘warning’ that
the administration would not spare suspected public fund looters.
“No government official would be spared if proven to have committed
infractions against the law…
“(The) Governor wishes to place it on record that no act of corruption
will be condoned under this administration and any government
official, serving or former, who is proven to have corruptly enriched
themselves shall face the full weight of the law”, the statesmen
added.
In its response to the issue, a Kwara-based Civil Society group, The
People’s Voice, frowned at the continuous silence of the government
over the matter.
In a statement signed by the group’s Assistant Publicity Secretary,
Comrade Abdulraheem Olaitan, it implored the Chief of Staff and the
state government to come out with their own position regarding the
issue in order to either confirm or deny the “huge allegation”.
“The… allegations should not be treated with kid gloves neither should
it be allowed to be (under any guise) swept under the partisan carpet
by EFCC and Kwara State Government”, it added.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button